Commissioning an index
If you would like me to create an index for you, please use the contact page to send me the following information:
- the subject matter of the text
- the word count and/or number of indexable pages
- the intended audience for the book
- time frame within which the final page proofs will be sent to me
- the date by which the final index is expected
- will I be dealing with the author, editor or publisher in this transaction
I will then get back in touch with you to confirm whether I am available to take on the commission. If I am not able to, I may be able to suggest another indexer who can take it on.
At this point I will require a sample of the text – a chapter will suffice and can be sent in electronic format. I will also discuss the layout and format of the index itself with you. I will then be able to give you a quotation for the work.
I use the recommended rates from the Society of Indexers as my starting point. Factors that may affect the rate charged include
- complexity of the text
- pressure to produce an index in a very short time
- necessity to work unsocial hours
- detailed indexing of figures and tables
- foreign language text content
For information on the Society of Indexers’ guidelines on fees and other matters concerning the hiring of an indexer, please click on the link below.